Torsten's bench works

AFAIK IAF stands for Israeli Air Force.
I always liked the Airacobras. Unfortunately they were not as successfull as they should have been, but technically they were rather original… :slight_smile: Nice work on both!

1 Like

Thanks for your comments, guys! Much appreciated :smiley: As always I tried my best and I’m really happy the way Bella Red came out. The kit has its flaws and it’s sure no model to put together on a rainy weekend. I didn’t use many of the PE parts Eduard offers with this kit. My main goal was to pimp some of the visible weak spots of the model, especially the weapons. It takes some time but in the end it’s worth the effort.

While the USAAF and RAF pilots didn’t like the Airacobra, the russian pilots loved it and showed what is possible with the aircraft. It sure was a very interesting aircraft with the engine in the middle and car doors. I’ve seen one orginal Bella Red in Finland years ago.

Bella White has got the first decals on the underside, nothing really worth showing now. I’ll be away for a long weekend, so no update until the end of next week here.

Torsten :vulcan_salute:

Beautiful work, Torsten. Looking really nice - I have their MTO dual combo of this kit, so really interesting to go through your blog.

Thanks for sharing :+1:t2:

1 Like

Thanks Jesper! I’m glad to hear that my builds are of some help for others. Still have a couple of “Weekenders” of this kit …

Torsten

Again it felt like applying 1000 stencils but now Bella White is nearly there. Except for the special markings for “Devastating Devil”, I have used all others from the Bella Dual Combo because they are all in english. So it makes more sense on this bird than on Bella Red. Just have to seal the decals and spray Marabu Dull Coat all over … :slightly_smiling_face:

I hope to finish this build on Sunday or early next week. So stay tuned …
Torsten :wave:

5 Likes

Excellent builds Torsten. It was good to be able to go back and review the whole new thread. On the final few laps now …

1 Like

Nice builds, I have the 8062 boxing with Donald Duck. I will revisit this thread if I build that kit

1 Like

Bella looks really good Torsten :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

They look great Torsten, even if they’re in the wrong scale. :grin: Looks like I only have one P-39 in the stash thought I had more. Hope I doo half as well on mine. :wave:

1 Like

Thanks for your feedback, guys, but it’s not finished yet! Have just sealed the decals. Matt varnish comes tomorrow hopefully. I will also take new photos tomorrow of Bella Red for my new Assembly Line thread over here … :slightly_smiling_face:

Peter, yes, I thought it would be good to restart this build blog in the new forum, which gives me the chance to see it as a continious blog with more work to follow.

Ryan, I’m glad if my build can give a helping hand for others. Thanks!

Mark, everyone of us has his favourite scale. Mine is 48 (and 35), yours is 72. I could never create such little gems in 72 like Magnus does. And all that matters is that you are satisfied with your own work in the end, no matter what others say. I found my way.

2 Likes

Awesome builds Torsten brings back memories of my foray into Eduard cobra’s of the Italian co-beligerent airforce. I really liked the kit though I think I filled my wing root gaps with polystyrene strip. Fantastic work as always my friend!!! Keep it coming buddy!!

1 Like

Thanks for your kind words, Chris! I have an Eagle Strike sheet here called “Venomous Cobras of the world”. Among others it also includes an italian and a french version. Might go for those also one day in the future … :thinking:

Bella White has got the final matt coating today. I’ll demask it tomorrow and add the final parts - propeller, door and exhausts. Everthing should be done by Tuesday or Wednesday. And Bella Red was at the photographer today … :slightly_smiling_face:

Okay, if I have not forgotten something I can call Bella White also finished … :slightly_smiling_face:

Bell P-39 Q “Airacobra”, USAAF, 46th FS, 15th FG, Makin Island, Summer 1943
Kit: Eduard 1/48

… and both Bellas side by side … :slightly_smiling_face:

These models are sure no easy assembly kits but with a little patience they turn into a rare seen bird on expos. My main goal was not to use as many PE parts as possible but to enhance the poor looking parts like exhausts and guns. I still have another older Dual Combo (RAF/VVS) and a few “Weekenders” of the Eduard Cobra. So there are a few more to come in the future. At least I have to build the machine of Grigori Rechkalov, the “ace of all P-39 aces”.

Please also check out Damian’s build of his Special Hobby “Bella Roo” from time to time.

This thread will be continued in the future. Still don’t know what wingy thingy it will be. Just have started a Bundeswehr ATF Dingo 2 in ISAF camouflage. Maybe you like to have a look.

Happy modelling!
Torsten :beer:

7 Likes

Beautiful work Torsten :slightly_smiling_face:
Thankyou for sharing! Looking forward to seeing what comes next :slight_smile:

1 Like

Excellent build Torsten, and as you said the P-39 isn’t a common sight either in the forums or on the show display benches. Your dual build here came up beautifully and I’m looking forward to the next chapter in your “Bella” story. For sure you need to build Rechkalov’s machine!
rechkalov_3
rechkalov_1

Thanks also for the bump to my thread (although it’s going slow right now)!

Cheers, D

2 Likes

Sterling effort, Torsten! A pair of real beauties!

1 Like

A devastating Devil indeed. A beautiful finish and a great pair of builds. Congratulations on a job well done.

1 Like

Thanks for all your kind comments, guys! Much appreciated! :slightly_smiling_face:

Damian, yes, that’s the option of Rechkalov what Eduard also offers in this dual combo. Still don’t know when I’ll build the next one. Sure not this year … But the next Cobra should be in RAF camo for sure.

But now, on to new sins …

Torsten :wave:

1 Like

Nice builds and nice photos too. Thanks for bringing more light to one of all time favorite aircraft.

1 Like

Torsten, great work on your P-39s - I’ve been enjoying this thread!

As an aside, I came across an interesting tidbit in Evgeniy Mariinskiy’s Red Star Airacobra - Memoirs of a Soviet Fighter Ace; the Soviets, who liked the P-39 very much, called them Bellochkas, which was a play on the manufacturer’s name Bell (“little Bell”) and the Russian word belochka, an affectionate name for a “little squirrel”.

2 Likes