What are you reading

Out by the fence you had one sanctioned radio station to choose from. Chris Noel did her show, and we just drooled for her voice. Saturday nights (if we were back in the base camp) we’d listen to Oldies But Goodies with two or three quarts of whiskey being passed around the circle (and some other goodies). Then a show called Oldies But Oldies (1930’s and 1940’s big band music) would come on. By then were were either drunk or stoned, and we loved the music! We often listen to Hanoi Hanna and radio Peking on the short wave (actually played good music once you got past verbal crap). The third station was out of Guadalupe Mexico!!! Radio stations in the states were sending over reel to reel tapes with their entire programs on them. We loved listening to them (even the commercials). those were the days
gary

4 Likes

Finished my book so now it’s on to food.

3 Likes

Getting ready to start this one for a book review for Osprey Publishing.

8 Likes

Have the 2nd volume to start after this one. Our family tradition is to exchange books on Xmas eve and turn off the TV so these were for me. And the title escapes, i think its called “The Generals”, compare/contrast book on Patton, Montgomery and Rommel and their leadership styles. I’m back traveling for work again so leaving the tv off at night and catching up on alot of readong.

6 Likes

Fr. Seraphim Rose and John Keel.

1 Like

Just finished the audio book version of this, great listen while doing other things and felt emotional at the end.

4 Likes

Came back yesterday evening from Vienna from New Years Eve holidays. Visited of course the HGM Heeresgeschichtliches Museum, one of the most well known military museums in Europe and with me came this fantastic book … :slightly_smiling_face:

which in english means “The Austro-Hungarian Army and its last war”, which was WW1. A topic I don’t know much about. Not cheap but worth every Cent. Over 350 pages with at least 1 photo on every page. Amazing source! :+1: :+1:

Happy New Year everybody!
Torsten

7 Likes

A very long time ago in college I met a student from Sri lanka. Up to then, I don’t think I’d ever heard or Sri Lanka. Being an enthusiast of the Pacific War I knew it by Ceylon. Student was describing where he was from and I chirped out, “You’re from Ceylon.” You would have thought that I had just vulgarly insulted his mother and entire family. He became quite agitated and forcefully stated that there was no such a place as cylon, and that he was from Sri lanka. Then he walked away.

2 Likes

For some aggravating reason, probably my piece of crap phone, that post did not post as a post to the man reading about the Sri Lanka civil war. When I get on a laptop I’ll try to fix this.

1 Like

Does listening to audiobooks count? If so, I just finished an army at dawn, another history of the flying tigers, the hunter Killers about the wild weasels in vietnam, and working on a book about Captain Kidd titled pirate hunter.

If we are limited to paper books, and I’m currently finishing up volume two of the darkest hour, about the Japanese carrier raid into the Indian ocean. Then I’m working on black sunday, about the Fifth Air Force’s worst day of loss when coming back from a air raid, they flew into a severe weather system. Then there’s a variety of other books that I put her along with. I could probably get a lot done if I could just focus. But my the main book that I’m reading I will carry with me all over, but then I’ll also end up in various places and I always try to have a book or a magazine or something in different cars and different places.

2 Likes

Yes, about to start one

2 Likes

@JPTRR the hunter killer book about the wild weasels in Vietnam sounds interesting, i might add that to my list.

in the meantime i have Nick’s second book about his time in Vietnam with SOG

for those of you who like to listen then i highly recommend Jocko’s podcasts the one below tells of Lynne Black’s first mission and trust me it will have you on the end of your seat.

3 Likes

The SOG book sounds good. Even the thought of it’s kind of scary. I’ve read very little about the Vietnam War comparably.

The wild weasel book was written by Dan Hampton, a wild weasel during the Gulf War. The audiobook was 10 or 11 hours. It was not all combat. Probably a little more than half of it was a very well researched and detailed history of what became the American Vietnam War, going back to I think pre-colonial days even. But the flying and shooting portion was better than I was expecting it to be.

The Hunter Killers: The Extraordinary Story of the First Wild Weasels, the Band of Maverick Aviators Who Flew the Most Dangerous Missions of the Vietnam War

3 Likes

I remember reading Panzer Aces long time ago, paperback form. I did not know there’s a Panzer Aces II. Unless it’s a Stackpole book. The Stackpole book Infantry Aces of the Third Reich was an incredible read. Especially the one profiling the German medic on the Eastern front.

2 Likes

I’ll have to go back and look and see if the interviewee is the author of this book, but the YouTube YouTube site Aircrew Interviews interviewed a Desert Storm Tornado crewman. You’re right, one gets a bit of emotional listening to them.

1 Like

PakWagen looks like a really good book.

1 Like

It is theirs, looks like it came out about 8 years after Panzer Aces I. Almost ready to start it, thoroughly enjoying vol 1.

1 Like

You know there is a “Panzer Aces III” don’t you?

2 Likes

Franz Kurowski definitely authored some interesting books but one should probably take whatever is written with a grain of salt.

I havnt read too !much of his work but the obvious breaks in the narratives are pretty glaring. I wont quote exactly but in one instance when discussing some decorations earned and the number of tanks destroyed by the soldier in question the numbers swung wildly along w the dates that chronologically made zero sense. In these collections you can certainly tell which chapters were done with primary source materials vs the ones based on anecdotal and “…if i remember correctly” type interviews. Of course w history books i always look at the authors background and read accordingly. W Franz i believe his work is tempered thru a fellow soldiers view, holding his subjects in awe and high esteem, ignoring historical records that might cast a shadow over his subjects.

1 Like