What the postman brought today (Armorama)

It is only the bridge and the deck close to the bridge

and a torpedo…

6 Likes

Mike,

From the content of both Deskit items I purchased, sofar I have only scratchbuilt the Sd.Ah.104 trailer some years ago- for my RRH build(where I used the Tamiya’s 8.8 cm FlaK 36/37 tires you sent me):

I have had another Sd.Ah.104 under construction for the FuMG 39D Würzburg radar some time ago, now residing in my Hall of Shame(I should try and finish this one this year):

But I never dared into scratchbuilding neither the 150 cm Flakscheinw. 37, nor its genset, the Maschinensatz 110 Volt, etwa 24 kW.So I bought these kits.

I do have the idea to build some day the earlier 150 cm Flakscheinw. 34(Siemens-Schukertwerke) auf Sd.Ah.102, as it was used by the Bulgarian Air Defense in WWII:

Cheers,
Angel

11 Likes

Looks like that box got torpedo’d and is sinking fast! Stay with her, Captain! :rofl:

—mike

2 Likes

Serious off topic question: What protects the bore on the deck gun when it’s submerged?
Do they just close the breech and stick a tampon in the muzzle? If they have time?
And then just pull the tampon, depress the tube and open the breech to drain the seawater out of it before it goes into action?

1 Like

Basically…. U-boat Deck guns - Technical pages - German U-boats of WWII - Kriegsmarine - uboat.net

3 Likes

I was too young to train as a U-boot deck gunner (born 35 years too late).
I’ll check my reference library and see what I can find.
If they did a crash dive I suspect that they would not have time to plug the barrel.
Extra gun cleaning session with lots of grease when they surfaced the next time

2 Likes

At least that way you will not be disappointed with any deliveries Angel :grin::+1:

3 Likes

Thanks John!

You have a point here and if I dare to paraphrase you, I could say I should be happy with any delivery unexpected… :wink:

Yet persistancy prevails with my girls, if you know what I mean :grin: :grin: :grin:

Cheers,
Angel

1 Like

I really like the look of this, it stirs something in me. I usually only build 1/35 modern armour and helicopters but this is nice.

3 Likes

It is, decent cost and part count, imho.

2 Likes

Always wondered about that. :thinking:

BTW: Alaaaaarm! :loud_sound: Prepare to dive!. … I’ll be seeing you over in ‘Shipwrights’ soon.
Not my doing. :rofl:

—mike :anchor:

1 Like

It’s almost as long as the box, about 22 inches long and about 7 inches wide.
The conning tower railings are in their own box…

2 Likes

Just arrived today!

12 Likes

Watch this video clip…at 4:11, they show and explain the deck gun
water proofing plug.
Cheers,

What video clip?

1 Like

Video link isn’t showing up on my iPhone?

@ Arch Stanton and Khouli
Sorry about that!..here is the link… talks about the waterproof plug
at 2min 49 secs.

https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-d&q=german+u+boat+deck+guns#fpstate=ive&vld=cid:57def583,vid:lbDM2oZNpp4

Cheers,

1 Like

Did you mean this video?

3 Likes

Sent an answer to myself…geez

1 Like

Yes… that’s the one.
Cheers,

2 Likes