8 Wheelers from 1965 - to Present

Nothing too exciting. Progress has been slowed by work and spring break holidays.

Parts quality continues to be a headache but I’ve got the hull 90% complete. Just need to finish off the rear hatch.

Patch job for that death star trench where the rear plate meets the hull top went well which pleases me. Anti-slip came out looking pretty good too I think.

I tossed some NATO green into the area with the winch capstan so I can get the top plate on and sprayed a real quick primer coat on to see if I missed any major flaws.

Next up the turret.

6 Likes

Looking good there Don. Anti slip came out well as well. Things like adding that do make a difference on the finished look. :+1:

1 Like

Good progress @Johnnych01 on your paint , I’d definitely add some buff into the mix to lighten
@Canmedic nice work on the anti slip texture. Inused the same paint on a stryker , worried I buried the details but it worked ok

2 Likes

Looks great Don. The parts issue is a pain, but worth it in the end.

1 Like

Almost there!

Probably the 98% mark in terms of build. Mirrors and tools and then whatever I end up with for stowage.

Now for all of the white paint.

9 Likes

Very nice Don… Good luck with the white paint… I never have much luck with my white attempts… :+1:

Okay, will be starting my entry soon. Using this:

with a few bits of this:

to make this:

9 Likes

That’s going to look lovely Peter. Will be good seeing how you meld the various parts together… :+1::+1:

I finished up my M985A2 HEMTT w/M989 HEMAT.

You can see more here:

11 Likes

Definitely drool worthy Gino. Great work as usual. I actually missed the build log, but had a quick scan through now. I now have to go back and take it all in nice and leisurely.

1 Like

Stunning build Gino with some brilliant scratch building and upgrades. A big truck made even bigger with that neat addition of the trailer built from various parts or scratched, a perfect build and both finished excellently.
Was a real.plrasure watching this come to life, you really nailed it and done it proud …

1 Like

Thanks gents. Every one else’s projects here are looking great too. Gotta love big, brawny 8-wheeled AFVs and trucks.

3 Likes

White paint is giving me no end of troubles on this one. I think I’ve got it close to sorted though.

In the mean time, to avoid inadvertently launching the rest of the model across the room, I’ve started on the stowage for the turret rear.

This is from the Black Dog LAV III set and it’s meant to go with an Afghan era LAV. Vehicles on UN ops aren’t usually so heavily laden with kit, but I wanted to use to use some stuff because a) I paid for it and b) it’ll help add some colour to the otherwise stark white paint.

9 Likes

Stowage looks great!

3 Likes

That is some nice detail painting on your stowage Don. Once it’s secured that will give a nice contrast to the vehicle white.

I haven’t forgotten about my Pantsir, after reverting back to the sand colour, I started to spray.

There is a lot of plastic to cover lol …

It’s only one coat so far, and I’ve only done the cab, rear box section and the weapons turntable. Still need to do the turntable base unit, the control box behind the cab and a few smaller bits… Then start the second coat lol… there are a million small nooks and crannies that it’s hard to get into, so I may need to do a lot of fill in painting by brush at the end.
Have weathered and washed the chassis and have the wheels left to do.

6 Likes

Stowage is on, and I used epoxy so it’s staying on too. Not sold on the colour of the tarp. I have visions of it becoming the classic blue poly tarp, but I think it’s too much blue with the Jerry cans and eventual markings. Also it doesn’t even clear the base of the turret (despite Legend designing it to) so it may come off entirely.

6 Likes

Is it?

I think it’s in the range.

Sorry Ryan. Not the shade, that I was going to play with. I mean the overall amount of blue things on the model. There’s 4 blue water cans plus there’ll be some blue UN markings and then the tarp. Just don’t want it looking like a house in the greek islands by the time it’s done.

4 Likes

I see. Well there is a few colors to pick from.

1 Like

Go for a yellow tarp :wink:

1 Like