AFV Club Sd. Kfz. 11

Today I’m starting a new project, the AFV Club Sd. Kfz. 11.

I know you told me in a previous topic that I should first try another kit, like the Jagdpanther of Italeri I have.

But, there is reasoning behind my choice.
First of all, I have had a private lesson airbrushing.
So I know a little more about how to use my airbrush properly without facing to many difficulties.

The second reason is, that the project might actually teach me the fundamentals ans basics of what I need to know for my scale modeling to later have the skills necessary to proceed to a little more difficult kits.

The third reason is, that the simple painting scheme allows me to excercise the basics of my airbrushing knowledge I’ve learned.
And it will also empty out my stash, which will bring me more peace of mind on the long term.

11 Likes

Looks like it should be a nice kit to build up. have fun with it and let everyone see how you get on.

1 Like

Good choice, a beautiful and well detailed kit. Enjoy!

3 Likes

Thank you, I will.

I will keep you update within this topic, because I’ve learned from all the previous situations. And I keep everything nicely organized in this single topic.

I’m now studying the subject with the book of Walther J Spielberger. That’s the only book I got on the subject.

Book suggestions are very welcome.

Please let me know then where to get it and if I can get it. Because book suggestions are all very nice. But if I’m not able to get it. It’s useless for me.
Please keep this in mind.

1 Like

Looks to me as you are on the right track. (Half-track that is!)

I built this one as well - don’t recall there being any serious difficulties with it.

You might keep on the lookout for a folded resin top for this one but not sure anyone makes one for this model.

Go for it!

1 Like

I don’t know if it is exactly Kosher to show you someone’s else’s version of this track. I hope you won’t mind.

I used Model Masters “Africa Mustard” spray can on this model. (no longer available) This shade has/had just a bit more yellow & red to simulate the deeper tan/reddish dark yellow used by the Germans in the desert.

3 Likes

Will be watching this for sure

@165thspc Thank you for your replies. I have written it down of the folded resin top for the model.

On the showing of your model. I don’t mind. It could be an example of what I can make of the kit. However, my model will probably look much more spartan and basic then yours or probably of others.
I’m planning to keep it simple and stick to basics.
The color I plan to use is Revell #16 Sandy yellow email color. I want to use existing paints up to replace with AK Interactive and test things out.
Could take a look at scalemates.com later on when the study phase is complete.

What is that?

He means enamel paint…

2 Likes

How did you end up on the FAMO you were doing mate? Did you finish it in the end?

I built that folded top out of paper and plastic rod. (Not my best work.)

As I recall the model comes with a nicely folded top all tucked into its’ boot cover. I figure the only time the troops would ever fold it away like that would be for a parade or some sort of high ranking inspection. Certainly not during combat use,

Here is a similar after market resin folded top available for the Famo. (Sorry for the soft focus here.)

FYI ~ the highlighting (dark lighting actually) was done with a couple of brush on transparent washes (shaders) from a company called Citadel. (Usually available in the Fantasy / Dungeons and Dragons type hobby shops.)

I used their Black Shader (called Nuln Oil) for the road wheels and their Sepia Shader for the cloth top.

I highly recommend both these products!

My son the Fantasy Figure painter calls this stuff “Experience in a Bottle.”

1 Like

Armorama links to overviews of these Citadel Shaders and samples of their usage:

For Armor:

For Structures and wood decking:

Here is an example of a one piece resin vehicle load:

I sprayed the whole thing with Tamiya dark yellow (rattle can) and after that I went after everything with the Citadel black and sepia shaders. The only thing that has any other paint color on it it that dark greenish bed roll, (Then again gone over with even more of the black shader.)

423c52c7463ec11d51a0c161610b1937d200285e_2_311x375

Same with all the other loose crates and sacks in this photo.

1 Like

EXAMPLE: Color/Shade difference between Model Masters “Africa Mustard” and Tamiya’s “Dark Yellow.”

Halftrack is in Mustard and Telemeter is in Dark Yellow.

(Photo color balance is fairly accurate here.)

1 Like

Photographers often view even color photos in terms of their “gray values”. This because at dusk and at night humans tend to use the B&W receptors in their eyes more than the color even though we may not be aware of this.

In this B&W photo you can see that the “gray values” of the vehicle closely approximate the gray-values of the surrounding countryside. Therefore confirming that this vehicle color choice is a good match for the environment surrounding it.

p.s. This doesn’t always work however! ~ I once painted a TV camera card with bright orange artwork on a medium lite blue background field. It looked wonderful on the color monitors but when converted to B&W (as the majority of the audience back then still did not have color TVs.) the gray values of the orange and the blue colors were almost identical and the artwork totally disappeared from view. This sort of being a reverse lesson in the art of camouflage!

I have made notes and points of the information and in a later stage of the project I will come to these sources of information as well.

Please keep the topic limited to the Sd. Kfz. 11 of AFV Club, because that helps me to keep overview of the whole project and topic.

Thank you in advance.

That looks like a very substantial artillery range-finder.

At what formation level would an article of equipment like that have been deployed?

That thing was used to coordinate a flak 88 battery as anti air defense. The information would be sent to each gun compensating for their position.

But back to the sd.Kfz 11. there are some fit issues so look at pictures and completed models to fit everything, and you may find some panels oversized slightly mainly in the back section.