The Great Canadian Campaign!

Nice job! That really is a mean looking vehicle!

1 Like

Thanks brother ā€¦ Still a ways to go before it moves to the shelf

Soā€¦ turns out the ā€œgeneric RAF markingsā€ I ordered are actually generic Spitfire and not Mustang markingsā€¦. Oh well. Theyā€™re a little off, especially the upper wings and the fin flash. Itā€™s something Iā€™m very willing to live with.

On the plus side, the decals them selves were awesome. Theyā€™re from Techmod and they are excellent quality. Very thin, no problems coming of the carrier (ok, I rushed one and tore it a little, but thatā€™s on me). They seem to be settling down nicely despite the relatively shallow panel lines on the model.

Iā€™ll see if they need another coat of Microsol and then onto weathering!

6 Likes

Yes, they still look good and are reasonably accurate.
It is the motto by which I build these days; something is better then nothing, as long as it is within acceptable limits. That eliminates a lot of annoyance and stress within the hobby!

1 Like

Well, my Canadian Ram Mk. II is complete. A little stowage to dress her up and Iā€™m calling it done. It was a fun build. A little PE, RB barrel, and Masterclub indy tracks. Comments appreciated.

11 Likes

The only thing Iā€™m not understanding, and that doesnā€™t mean it isnā€™t well executed, are the lime green stains.

Beyond that, itā€™s absolutely stunning and you should be very proud

Comments??
I want a RAM too!

Yeah Don I tried Cadmium Yellow and I guess it didnā€™t work. Thanks for the compliment.

1 Like

Beautiful and stunning build Matt!
Honestly I kind of like the lime green/yellow streaks on the hull.

Finally got brave enough to start gluing scratch built stuff in the stuff Churchill. And started adding detail like rivers and bolt heads to some of the scratch work. Primed the fire wall and Iā€™m getting to be pretty happy with the scratch work. Priming, and I am sure paint, really start to make the scratch work feel like details and not just a mess of white styrene

I hope to have the hull fully scratch built by the end of next weekend. Itā€™s mostly details now. The major pieces are all built up

7 Likes

That looks really good .

I am really loving what your doing with that churchill.

1 Like

Thanks I am decently happy! At points, I ponder, why I did this to myself but I think the result will be worth the trouble

1 Like

Oh itā€™s not the colour. I just wasnā€™t sure what you were trying to represent. It actually adds some nice breakup to the greens/browns

1 Like

Iā€™m calling my Mustang done! Iā€™m absolutely thrilled how this turned out. I think this build has restored my love of flying machines.

1 Like

Turned out awesome! Making me itch to start my wingy thing for the campaign!

1 Like

Thanks!

Iā€™m super happy with the final product. This was a great opportunity to try some new things and break away from green metal boxes.

First time doing a lot of paint masking, first time Iā€™ve been really happy with a dot filter and I think I have a new technique for cleaning up panel lines.

Shame my decals werenā€™t what I thought they were going to be, but if thatā€™s the worst thing I have to deal with I donā€™t think I get to complain.

Thereā€™s a Typhoon build that Iā€™m following right now and Iā€™ve always loved the look of those beasts, and Iā€™ve got the right paintsā€¦

The typhoon is a gorgeous plane! Iā€™m following that build too. Honestly, 99% of people wouldnā€™t know the decals are wrong. I sure didnā€™t. And they look great even if they arenā€™t ā€œcorrectā€.

I got my start modeling on aircraft. My grandpa was RCAF, he worked at Cheyenne mountains sister base in north bay. My dad grew up on Air Force bases. When I was about 12 my dad showed my a chest he had full of unstated and half competed kits. Thatā€™s what got me hooked. For years I built only airplanes. Over the last 5 years Iā€™ve mostly build armor. But recently I bought a Tamiya F-16, from there on I discovered accurate miniatures and my last 7 purchases have been aircraft. A Corsair, 3 AM mustangs, a AM dauntless and avenger, and a spitfire. I find myself looking at planes more than armor but every time Iā€™m on model store websites. Donā€™t get me wrong I love armor, but there are a lot of really interesting planes. And they are a nice break from the monotony of road wheels and monotone paint

1 Like

Unintelligible muttering and grumbling ensuesā€¦

4 Likes

That looks like 113 road wheels