What the postman brought today (Armorama)

A F-4C driver I know was not a fan of them. Had one denote near him. He said they would turn into them and apply afterburner. If you where quick enough, you could out turn and be it past before the proximity fuse denoted it.

2 Likes

A couple to put away for Christmas, although one isn’t going to fit under the tree!

One little one, want to do the “Ice Cold in Alex” version but there is a very nice Caunter scheme too…

And one rather large one, my first 1/16th kit, and on first impressions looks great, 1/35th tiger in second pic for scale reference. Then side of box sprue call-out.

11 Likes

Unless you are going to go in for building an R/C tank I just dont see the point of doing 1/16th scale???

2 Likes

Yeah, I’ve noticed some real negativity about the larger scale stuff, but I am not scaleist myself, unless it’s 1/72nd, that’s just crazy! Ha!

The Sherman is actually going to take up a similar amount of space in the cabinet a 1/35th Challenger 2 does, when you take overall length into consideration.

I am 1/16th curious and I am not ashamed!

6 Likes

I have been a bit of a fanatic since childhood in wanting all my toys and models to be in the same scale, preferably 1/35th. If it were possible I would only have 1/35th scale aircraft as well but for now 1/32nd will have to do.

3 Likes

I know what you mean, I like to display different subjects in the same scale together. 1/35th helicopters please me very much, however I’ve only built an AH-1Z viper so far in that scale, but it is allowed on the same shelf as my 1/35th armour! Looking forward to building one of the upcoming 1/35th Apaches too. And at least there are a few fixed wing aircraft around in 1/35th too now.

1 Like

I have seen the scale argument debated in aircraft forums - why do 1/32nd when 1/48th has better detail than 1/72nd and is less cost and space than 1/32nd, etc. Why do 1/35th helicopters when we already have 1/32nd? Same is going to apply here - your personal preference.

1/16th scale brings with it the possibility of making a model truer to appearances of a 1:1 scale. 1/35th scale has limitations on what is a feasible thickness, etc. So I get why guys would like them. Of course it also comes with a greater expectation of correct detail!

Size to store them and cost is also a consideration. I have a Takom Panzer 1 in 1/16 and the space it will take up is less than my 1/35th scale Conqueror hull. Price wise, it was cheaper than a Dragon 1/35th scale version! I also have a 1/9 scale Kettenkrad which has a large footprint.

Would I buy more 1/16th? Yes, if it was a smaller vehicle like a Renault UE, CV 33, Ontos, etc. The 1/16th Sherman and Tiger - too big for my taste. But that is my taste. There are many, many modellers that are drooling over the new trend and buying up these Sherman and Jeep kits and a lot are actually building them.

I say go with what floats your boat, 1/35th, 1/48th. 1/72nd or 1/16th - that is all that matters. Enjoy the build @iwatajim

4 Likes

Oh, absolutely! Whatever floats your boat ~ each to his own tastes ~ no judgements here. Just a personal viewpoint, nothing more.

As to scale thickness in 1/35th there is not much I have wanted to do that I was not able to model in 1/35th.

Oh, and I DO like 'em BIG! The Scud TEL is nowhere near big enough for me but that 16 wheel Russian Topal ICBM launcher in 1/35th has certainly been calling my name!

p.s. I have the Storch and the L-4 Grasshopper under construction in 1/35th but also more than a few aircraft in 1/32nd as well.

2 Likes

Completed, on the shelf, one-on-one, this Sherman can totally beat up that Tiger

2 Likes

Scale? When scale weight becomes an issue Im out of here.

I reckon that the 1/16 scale market is perfect for people compensating for a lack of size elsewhere in their lives.

1 Like

Got this today.

It’s going to be pretty much OOB, no thrills or spill’s and built as a semi submerged Russian wagon in a fording that went very wrong Dio.

It’s a pretty basic kit on first look.
Most turret parts and turret ERA are in one bag.

And it’s all in green styrene apart from tracks which are pale black in the other bag which contains everything else.

Bottom of the hull tub is all one piece including all the suspension arms. The front LH idler one had bent very badly in the box, but straightened out ok with a bit of pressure.

Not seen any type of mesh for the engine screens so may need to dig out some for that if there’s none included :+1:

6 Likes

@Venko Gruson Fahrpanzer arrived.

Hopefully I can turn one into this little diorama.

10 Likes

The US Post Office has my Topol-M (1/35) and I hope to have that massive box later today!

6 Likes

Getting ready for the Hobby Link stuff to drop:

A FROG and I’m considering cheating with this Amusing Hobby running gear for Accurate Armor Conqueror MK II ARV ….

6 Likes

Almost pulled the trigger on that Amusing conqueror with Andy’s sale but hesitated too long

Al. Just a Heads up - the AH Conqueror running gear sits a tad too high as is:

1 Like

That’s what she said! :rofl:
:upside_down_face:

5 Likes

Thanks for that. I haven’t really looked too hard at the AA Conqueror MK II ARV, other than grimacing at the white metal road wheels and return rollers…. :thinking:

BTW, I’m really impressed by your craftsmanship on the Conqueror and @Johnnych01 dio in the linked thread. I’m consistently amazed by what I’ve been seeing here.

2 Likes

Very interesting. 1/35 ?

1 Like